This is my storytelling and photography blog. The stories we tell ourselves, the stories we are told.
What makes them work? What makes them move us to tears, subdue us, hurt us, enlighten us? What makes them move us forward or break us down? How can they be changed?
Feel free to visit the Blog section for a complete list of posts and the Photography section for a selection of photos under different categories.
- New Blog AddressI have just transferred my blog from florinpopa.blog to florinpopa.eu. The old site redirects to the new one, as you can see in the address bar. I would kindly ask those who want to keep on seeing my new posts to follow the new site. There will be no more updates at the old blog […]
- Finding PeaceDeep in the forest, where sunlight miraculously reaches through a maze of branches and warms up the budding flowers hidden in the shadow of old trees. The footpath lies ahead like an invitation. On the rocky ocean shore, watching the sunset and listening to the wind singing its strange incantations. A song of hope, loss, […]
- CarnivalJust before the first spring flowers pop out of the snow and before Lent, the 40-day fasting period before Easter, something colorful and outrageous happens in villages and towns across Belgium. It’s carnival time and people come together to celebrate in excess, just as later on they used to congregate to celebrate in fasting and […]
- Through the Looking GlassIt’s been a few weeks now that I’ve been working on my photo project focusing on autism. So far I’ve visited eight participants, some of them two or three times. I’d like to share some observations on how it is to actually do this as compared to what I imagined or expected. I need to […]
- Shadows in MonochromeI’ve been this forest once. The majestic canopy silently growing in the night. The ever-changing winds of winter. The moon and the stars. The deep shadows of trees beneath trees. The trembling leaf ready to fall. All life unfolding quietly. The beating heart of the woods. Sometimes I remember being the forest. This week’s Lens-Artists […]
- Cultivating AttentionPhotography cultivates a certain awareness and attention to detail. You walk on the street, all senses awake. There’s this detail here and that situation over there. You can see things developing into something that could be a good photo. You anticipate. You position yourself in the right place and wait for the right moment. Sometimes […]
Autism Stories is a project born out of my need to better understand and relate to the world of autism. It explores the lives of people with autism and of their families and friends.